Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Home to the third largest Shaker community in the United States from 1805 until 1910, SVPH manages the country's largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite amenities at SVPH include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, event and meeting venues, riverboat rides, historical exhibitions and tours, farm and garden area, nature preserve, multi-use trail system, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Shaker Village Visitor Engagement Department
Shaker Village is dedicated to sharing Shaker lessons in community, sustainability, and ingenuity through engaging public programming, special events, workshops, and other activities. The Visitor Engagement Department is part of a site-wide initiative to create a unified approach to education, interpretation, and visitor engagement, bringing together the story of the Shakers and the land into a coherent whole that promotes deeper connections to the culture and environment.
This position will implement music programming for the public, primarily through solo vocal performances of Shaker music accompanied by interpretation of Shaker dance and historical and cultural information. Music Educators will perform on the Village's daily schedule, and as needed for special programs and events. In addition, Music Educators will serve as general educators/guides during the intervals between their music programs.
- Lead daily music programs, primarily solo singing performances interpreting Shaker music and dance
- Lead Shaker music programs for groups, student field trips and special events as scheduled
- Familiarize yourself with research of Shaker culture specifically music, dance and worship
- Familiarize yourself with all guest services at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
- Assist in the implementation of special events and programs as needed
- Assist with exhibition installation as needed
- Ensure a clean, safe environment for all guests and staff
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Performance-quality singer
- Ability to read music
- Must be a self-motivator and willing to learn new skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive attitude, problem solving, and flexibility
- Ability to work with a wide demographic of guests, including youth, families and adults
- Ability to work in a collaborative team structure
- Show flexibility and creativity in support of all Shaker Village activities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Music or related field is preferred
- Relevant professional or performance experience
- Experience presenting experiential programming to the public, including youth and group
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell
- Frequently required to stand and walk for at least an hour at a time; occasionally sit and climb or balance
- Specific vision ability required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and lift and/or move heavier loads with a team as needed.
Working Environment and Conditions:
- Regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions
- This position will require working regularly on weekends and some evenings.
To Apply Visit: https://shakervillage.applicantpool.com/jobs/109466.html?